OUSD Board Protocols
(approved in May 2015)
1. Govern in a dignified and professional manner, treating everyone with civility and respect.
2. Operate openly with trust and integrity.
3. Represent the needs and interests of all the students in our district, and keep student learning and achievement as the primary focus.
4. Ensure opportunities for and respect the diverse range of views in the community, including student, parent and staff ideas, viewpoints and reactions to the district’s educational programs.
5. Recognize the rights of individual board members to freely express their views and encourage open discussion of issues on the agenda and honoring the right to disagree with each other, while not engaging in inappropriate debate.
6. Consider research, best practices, public input, community priorities and financial impacts in board deliberations and decision making.
7. Maximize productivity at public meetings by requesting agenda items and information in advance.
8. Uphold the legal requirement for confidentiality on all matters arising from closed sessions by keeping all conversations taking place in closed sessions absolutely confidential.
9. Establish the district vision, create policies and assure accountability, and respect the role of the superintendent as chief executive to manage staff and the operations of the district.
10. Recognize that the authority of the board lies with the entity and not the individual member.
11. Monitor district finances and programs.
12. Establish annual expectations and goals for the district.
13. Evaluate the performance of the district, the superintendent, and the board.